If you read my last blog about my dad's birthday, you know that I didn't think he was doing too well. Well, he took a huge turn for the worse last night.
I got a call from my brother at 10:30 last night that they had to call an ambulance to take him to the hospital. I went to the hospital on my way to work at 11. (Thank goodness I work like 2 blocks from the hospital.)
They wouldn't let us in to see him until they got him settled in from the ambulance so I went to work. He had fallen down twice at home once at 7:30 and again at 9:30 and he didn't feel comfortable with my brothers trying to support him to get him out to the truck...that's why they called the ambulance..
My brother called me at work at 12:04 a.m. and my dad was in BAD shape. He had lots and lots of blood coming out both ends.
I tried to call to get someone to come into work but was not able to. They called back 20 minutes later and I was still waiting to hear back from either the GM or the other night audit guy.
Well, I got a call at 12:49 a.m. and they had just called a code blue on my dad. I was a bit upset and called the GM and basically told him he had to come in right now because I had to leave.
It's a little sad that I called my friend who lives in the next town too, and he got to my work faster than the GM. As soon as the GM got there I left....I had already clocked out.
When I got to the hospital my dad was unconscious and they had intubated him. They were working on getting a central line in him.
At about 3:30 I think it was they moved him up to the ICU. We stayed up there until this morning and the GI doctor did a scope but can't see where the blood was coming from.
At this point, we are hoping the bleed was caused by an overdose of coumadin, and that he will be able to recover from this pretty major setback.
They did take him off the ventilator tonight, but he's not doing too good at breathing for himself. They said if he doesn't start doing a better job they would have to put him back on it. They stopped all of his pain meds to try to get him to wake up and be alert enough to breathe.
He is still very, very sick. I think we are looking at a stay in the ICU for at least a week to get him stable again and then some time on the regular floor after that.
Then we have to make some serious decisions about his care. He is just not responsible enough to care for himself at this point.
Thank you all for reading. Thank you for my friend who was there with me last night. Just to be there and support me and my brothers...and for the diet pepsi and chocolate! Luv YA!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm sorry about your dad Julie. I will keep him and the rest of your family in my prayers.
Jules....I hope your dad is doing better today. Not agitated, restless, or cranky.....doing good! i am so sorry that on top of everything else you've had to deal with this too! What has this world gone to? So I have to work tonight but I really need to talk to you.....I have W.T.C. too....but who knows I may have a week or too to spare.....love ya. :-)
Julie, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he heals and can get home soon. I am here for you and only a phone call away. All my love
Amanda
Post a Comment